Sunday, July 4, 2010

An unconventional fourth and another phenomenal week : )

I've had another incredible week! Quick updates:
1. I feel so blessed to be friends with Susan, Leah, and Serah. All three of these women are so strong, intelligent and kind. They have graciously invited me into thier homes, fed me* what little they have, taught me through thier stories and hard-learned lessons, and dragged me into a few experiences that will surely become some of my most fond memories from the summer. It's truly the people who make a place... and Lwala has some incredible people!
2. The soap business is officially happening! I have less than 3 weeks left in the village (what?!?!) and so this (along with the last WASH training and finishing up work at the 10 schools) will take center stage in what will surely become a crazy last couple of weeks!! If you know of any grants for social business/entrepreneurship/microfinance, please let me know!! Or if you have any experiencing starting a business, any advice will help! I finally made the lye from wood ash today, SUCCESSFULLY**!! So now I have to add oil and it will be ready to be taught to others and sold... trying something new is SO much fun, but really difficult in a place with completely different resources, and where the nearest town is 30 minutes away and the nearest city is an hour away... it's been a struggle but I'm so happy it finally worked!
3. I changed my ticket to July 26th... this was the only ticket available and I thought that my originally date to leave on the 15th was pushing me too close to the start of the new semester and I was also told that I shouldnt be in/around Kenya near the vote for the constitutional referendum at the beginning of August. Luckily Virgin lets you change your flight for free : ) I know this won't be my last time in Eastern Africa so I'm not all too sad about not being able to travel around as much.
* Yesterday I went to Leah's house and had the most disgusting food I've ever eaten. It was so bad that it made the millet cake they eat, called Ugali, taste good. I'm not sure what it was, but I think it was from the leaves of a pumpkin or a squash plant. Leah and I have been exchanging visits at one anothers' houses and she is an incredible cook and an even better story teller. She is an oak tree to her children, family, friends, and the community. I love this woman. If you pray, pray for her... if you hope, hope for her... she's pretty sick but she's a fighter : )
** In order to use lye from wood ash to make soap, the lye has to be a certain strength. To test the strength, you float an egg in the lye. The whole process of leeching the lye from the wood ash is WAY over my head and I've tried about half a dozen times to make it, all with great disappointment as I've dropped an egg in the dark-brown liquid and watched it sink to the bottom. Tonight, over lantern-light, the egg floated!! I was SOO happy!! The hard part is over... now I can teach people to make soap so that it can be sold in Lwala, surrounding communities, and in Rongo, to generate some income for the community. I've never been more excited, and simultaneously intimidated. Pray/hope for this too.

Another beautiful week to come, I'm sure of it!

2 comments:

  1. This is how Dove got started! So proud of you and love your stories to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! also glad you are coming home early :-) selfish much?

    ReplyDelete